Hand Selected California Redwood
The use of redwood lumber in construction guarantees a strong and beautiful structure. Redwood heartwood leads in categories of total performance of the wood, shrinkage, warping and decay resistance when compared to other woods such as Douglas Fir-larch, Western common, Southern pine and Eastern Hemlock. Structures made from redwood maintain their form and beauty for many years after construction.
The advantages of Redwood are:
- Durability and dimensional stability: Redwood retains its shape and is resilient to extreme changes in the weather and temperature. In exterior use, redwood will stay flat and straight with minimum shrinking, warping or checking.
- Resistance to decay: Redwood Heartwood resists decay caused by the environment or insects. It is important to know that only the Heartwood, as opposed to the Sapwood, is naturally decay and insect resistant. Although Sapwood may be sealed on a regular basis for decay resistance, it is difficult to insure total coverage. This is especially true when tight joints, moisture retention areas, or ground contact may be found. Any exposed Sapwood due to drilling, sawing, or checking is not resistant to decay.
- Aesthetically Appealing: Redwood retains any finish applied to the surface. Stain adheres to the surface even though a finish is not essential with heartwood. Redwood weathers to a smooth, gray patina.
- Safe: The natural qualities of redwood heartwood eliminate the need for any chemical treatments, therefore, the sawdust and scraps are non-toxic.
- Strong: Of the commonly used softwoods, redwood is the strongest in proportion to its weight.
- Environmentally Sound: Redwood sprouts from the stump, flourishes on existing roots and matures faster than any other softwood tree. Therefore, a redwood never dies -- it recycles itself! Forests replenish naturally, in addition to seed planting required by reforestation programs. There are more redwoods today than when the species was first harvested.
- Reforestation programs: In order to secure the protection and replenishment of Redwood forests, Rainbow Play Systems, Inc. only purchases its Redwood through lumber companies that particpate in Sustained Yield Programs. All our Redwood sources practice modern methods of forest management. Timber harvesting is regulated so that the land will continue to yield indefinitely. These programs insure a steady or increasing supply of redwood for the future.
For further information regarding Redwood, write to:
California Redwood Assn.
405 Enfrente Dr.
Ste. 200, Novato, CA 94949.